LUMINA, Vol. XVI: Borders and Boundaries
is excited to announce
as the judge of our 2016 Nonfiction Contest!
Leslie Jamison is the author of The Empathy Exams, a New York Times bestselling essay collection, and a novel, The Gin Closet, a finalist for the Los Angeles Times First Fiction Award. Her work has appeared in Harper’s, Oxford American, A Public Space, Boston Review, Virginia Quarterly Review, The Believer, and the New York Times, where she is a regular columnist for the Sunday Book Review. She lives in Brooklyn and is an assistant professor at Columbia University. Read more about Leslie’s work here: http://www.lesliejamison.com/
The 2016 LUMINA Nonfiction Contest
is considering work on the theme:
Borders and Boundaries
We are looking for bold, beautiful, and new interpretations of all the ways we interface with borders and boundaries in our world: travel, immigration, maps, gender, sexuality, love, citizenship, race, the physical body, language, death, the interior vs. the exterior, atmospheric layers, psychological barriers, prisons, fences, rules and relationships, challenging the boundaries among genres, and anything else this theme conjures up.
Deadline: September 1, 2016
Please read the guidelines carefully. If you include your personal information on the document, or exceed the limit, your submission will not be considered.
- Submission Fee: $12
- Include a 100 word bio (max) at the bottom of your cover letter.
- Submit up to two pieces, 5,000 words maximum per piece. Please include the word count for each piece on the first page of the piece. You must submit your work in a single document, even if you are sending two separate pieces.
- DO NOT INCLUDE your name or any personal information in the body of your submission.
- Previously published works will not be considered.
- We do accept simultaneous submissions. Please withdraw your submission immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- All nonfiction contest submissions that are not chosen as finalists may be considered for general submission.
First Place: $750 and Publication in LUMINA, Vol. XVI
Second Place: Publication in LUMINA, Vol. XVI
Third Place: Publication in LUMINA, Vol. 7 Online Literary Journal
Learn more and submit your work online here!